Number of Travelers
- Book NowInquire
- Booked 6 times (last 30 days)
- No hidden booking or credit card fees
- Instant confirmation after booking
- Best Price Guarantee
PrivateOne-day Panda Rescue Center Volunteer Program
- Duration : 8 Hours
- English (and other languages)-speaking guide
- Pick-up and drop-off included
- Free cancellation up to 5 days before your trip
- The participants need to be between 12-65 years old
Why you'll love this trip
Ensure that the adorable Giant Panda continues to prosper through your help as a volunteer. Get a chance to be a panda keeper for a day at the Dujiangyan Panda Research Base.
- Skip the line to tour around the Dujiangyan Panda Base
- Feed a panda with your own hands at a very close distance
- Clean the enclosure for pandas
- Make panda cakes in different shapes
- Learn pandas’ living habits and become a panda protector
View allExperience Details
- Overview of the Program (in the Morning)
This panda rescue center volunteer program, an immensely popular option, is thoughtfully and professionally arranged for panda lovers. In the morning, your packed schedule starts from your private pick-up in your hotel lobby. Once you arrive at the Dujiangyan Panda Base, one of the biggest and most renowned habitats of giant pandas, you will be introduced to the professional panda keepers. Begin your work by cleaning the enclosures and feeding pandas. After, take a break to tour around the panda base and enjoy lunch.
- Overview of the Program (in the Afternoon)
In the afternoon, your work and activities include watching a movie telling the life cycle of pandas, making panda cakes, enclosure cleaning, and panda feeding. Come get up close with giant pandas!
- Orientation for Beginners
Your guide will pick you up in your hotel lobby at the suggested time. Upon arriving at the Dujiangyan Panda Base, you will sign up with the assistance of your guide. Get a uniform, gloves, and a volunteer’s card. Your guide will introduce you to the professional panda keepers. Your guide will be there for you the whole, helping with translation and taking memorable photos of you with the lovable pandas.
- Clean the Panda Enclosures
Panda keepers need to supply fresh bamboo to these national treasures three times a day. The pandas usually eat only 30% of the bamboo, wasting 70% of it. You need to sweep out the leftovers and replace it with fresh bamboo, as well as clean out the feces.
- Visit the Panda Base
Take a break and tour around the panda base. There are about 10 pandas in the base and some of them were born abroad, including the most popular Tai Shan and Bao Bao, who returned from the U.S. Have a relaxing walk around the well-paved base and listen to the legendary stories about these pandas. You will also have a chance to meet four naughty red pandas.
- Feed a Panda
Pandas are supplied with panda cakes, apples, and carrots four times a day. The panda keepers will show you how to feed a panda with your own hands at close proximity.
- Have Lunch and Relax
A simple Chinese lunch is included in the panda keepers’ canteen. Usually there are two meat dishes and one vegetable dish. Rice and porridge are also provided. It is highly recommended for you to prepare some snacks in case you do not like the food there. After lunch, you can walk around to continue exploring or have a rest in the volunteer office or resting room, where benches are provided.
- More Cleaning and Feeding.
The bamboo you supplied in the morning will have become dry by the afternoon. Remove it and replace it with fresh bamboo. Then feed the pandas with some more panda cakes and apples.
- Make Panda Cakes
Having fed the pandas with panda cakes, aren’t you curious as to how they are made? It is time to make some panda cakes with your own hands. The ingredients will be prepared in advance. Get creative about the shapes of the cakes.
- Picture with a Panda（Optional）
This donation program allowing you to take pictures with a panda for around 5 minutes is not included in the Panda Keeper Program. The donation amount is CNY1,800 per person. Only 20 tourists are allowed to take close- up photos with pandas each day. If interested, please book and tell Local Panda as early as possible. Remember to take enough CNY cash, as payment by a non-Chinese credit card is not accepted there.
- Get a Certificate
The volunteer work ends here and you will receive a certificate for this unforgettable day. Say goodbye to the pandas you took care of. Your guide and driver will escort you back to your hotel in Chengdu and you will arrive at around 5:30pm.
Inclusions & Exclusions
- Entrance fee and Volunteering fee
- Local guide
- Pick-up and drop-off included
The trip has a pick-up and a drop-off from/to locations within the 3rd Ring Road of Chengdu.
We can also pick up/drop off from/to the following locations or any other location you specify, but there may be an additional fee.
* Hotels / Service Apartments / Airbnbs outside the 3rd Ring Road of Chengdu
* Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU)
Please contact us for further information on the expected cost from/to your pick-up/drop-off location.
- Guide & driver gratuities (Recommended)
- The volunteering program has a very limited quota, please try to order as early as possible，and at least three days in advance.
- Specific pickup time: 6:45am
- For the volunteering program, the participants need to be between 12-65 years old.
- During the program, you can take photos of the pandas or your private guide can help take photos for you when you are working. But if you want to take close-up photos with pandas, it needs extra cost (RMB 1800 pp, be paid on the spot )
Rescheduling & Cancellation Policy
You can reschedule or cancel your trip at zero cost up to 5 days before your travel date.
Unlock China with the Panda Phone
All-in-one Rental Mobile Travel Assistant
- Smart Phone with Mainland China Number
- Travel & Emergency Help at Your Fingertips
- 4G Wireless Data, Unlimited Calling & Texts
- VPN - Access Blocked Websites Like Google